Sunday, March 7, 2010

Perception Post

"Doubt is the key to knowledge” (Persian Proverb). To what extent is this true in Perception?

In my opinion, this proverb is true since to gain knowledge, doubt is likely to appear because there are many different opinions and it also leads to curiosity, which leads to knowledge. A cultural example for this would be religion. In many societies, people have different beliefs and ideas (ex. Catholic Church, Lutheran, Muslims, Jewish, etc.) These different "knowledgeable" religions cause uncertainty to many people and make them develop curiosity, therefore knowledge would be acquired when being exposed to all of these. In school, doubt arises in mostly all subjects, such as history where there are always 2 sides to every story, such as the Mexican Revolution. There is the point of view from the USA and from Mexico. Then, when knowing both sides, the student can have more knowledge about the revolution. In my personal life, there have been disputes between my family about economical situations that could harm my future. Both of my parents enrich me with two different perspectives of who is right and who is wrong. Since I am no lawyer, I have been doubtful about how it works, therefore I acquire knowledge by hearing about what my grandfather thinks, since he's a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment